Why we all need a little WOW…
Generation WOW 2018 is right around the corner and now more than ever the girls of our community need to get connected to the leaders of today–YOU!
Through Generation WOW, you have the opportunity to make a lasting impact and start a journey that will not only make a difference for a girl in need of a friend and role model but also shape your own life in many positive ways.
If you’ve already signed up to be a mentor for Generation WOW 2018 in Orlando or Jacksonville, thank you for making a commitment to helping girls develop into confident, positive and productive leaders of our community and our world. If you haven’t signed up, click here to register and join us on November 7th in Orlando or November 14th in Jacksonville.
To help get you ready for WOW, here are some mentoring tips:
Getting Ready to Meet Your Mentee
During Generation WOW you will be meeting your mentee(s) for the very first time. They will be the girls seated right next to you in the auditorium. Take time when you first arrive to begin to connect and enjoy the stage speakers with them!
Here are some additional things you can do now to make the most of that initial meeting:
- Be Prepared: In addition to familiarizing yourself with the Generation WOW schedule and activities, come with a prepared topic of discussion. The topic doesn’t need to be anything monumental–sometimes simple things lead to great discussions and insights.
- Keep Expectations Realistic: Remember that relationships develop over time and this first initial meeting is just “step one” in your journey.
- Be Prepared to Be Uncomfortable: A mentoring relationship challenges us both professionally and personally and often has us addressing difficult issues such as a time when we lacked confidence. Taking risks is good for all of us!
- Silence is Good: Mentees often need time to process and not saying anything actually speaks volumes as to what is swimming in their heads. Use this opportunity to pause and take stock of the situation before diving a little deeper into your discussion questions.
- Show Gratitude: Let mentees know how they have benefitted this relationship. Pay attention to moments during the day and discussions and thank your mentees for something they did or said that had a positive impact on you.
- Leave Together: When we dismiss for the Geraldine Mentor Walk, be sure to stick with the girls as you leave the auditorium. You will proceed on the walk with the same girls you were sitting with during the event. Utilize every moment to foster conversation and connection!